Monday 11 November 2013

FUNDAMENTAL HAPPINESS Series 15 - BOOK LAUNCH IN DELHI

Hi Friends,


My second book launch event for "ARE YOU REALLY HAPPY?" at Landmark Stores, Ambience Mall, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi went off very well. I thank all readers of this blog who came for the event and helped me make it a big success. Apart from Ms. Narayani Ganesh, editor of the Speaking Tree in the Times of India, and Kajal Ghosh, Chief General Manager of State Bank of India, Delhi Circle, I was delighted to have psychiatrist Dr. Chandan Gupta with us in the event. He had many years ago treated me for depression and has written the Foreword to my book.

Here are some pictures from the launch event:





Before I come to Series 15, I am happy to give the links to some very good reviews of the book that have come out on various platforms.

Here is a review done by an anonymous blogger, who specializes in book reviews and uses the name "Privy". The blog http://wingstomywords.blogspot.in has had over 37,000 visitors. Do have a look at that blog. The link to the book review is given below:

Another review has appeared in Business Standard, All India editions on 5th Oct, 2013:

FUNDAMENTAL HAPPINESS Series 15
I have a thought: to devote this series to the interesting questions that came from the audience at the time of the Delhi book launch, along with my responses. That will help clear similar doubts or questions that readers of this blog might have. It will help since this blog and the book have the same theme, though the text, articulation, emphasis and detailing are different.

Question:
We are often running after more and more of knowledge. Knowledge is available with the click of a mouse or through many gadgets like iPads, smartphones etc. Can endless pursuit of knowledge also be a roadblock in our journey towards FUNDAMENTAL HAPPINESS? 

Answer:
The crux issue here is not how much of pursuit of knowledge can become a roadblock in our journey towards FUNDAMENTAL HAPPINESS. The issue that has to be honestly addressed here is: what is prompting me to pursue knowledge? As I have mentioned earlier on in my posts, the various distractions and mental exercises that we usually employ to keep our basic inner unease at bay, come into play very slyly. We may think, in all sincerity, that we are pursuing knowledge because it is important. We have to look deep within and question, whether, in the process, we are also keeping our attention away from our inner selves that is painful and unbearable. You need a fair degree of authenticity to recognize what within you is prompting you to pursue knowledge, or for that matter, pursue any other activity or interest. We do a lot of things, seemingly important, but often hidden within us is the secret desire to keep ourselves cut off from our interiors. As I have suggested earlier, no matter what important and deeply engrossing activity you are pursuing, remain aware of your inner self at the same time. Develop the practice of doing most things from being. That helps us stay connected with ourselves no matter what we are doing. I have elaborated on these aspects in my previous posts.

Question:
This is not a question but a statement. One very close family friend whom I have known since childhood, got up and stated that he is already fundamentally happy.

My response:
Before I state what my response was, let me mention here with the benefit of having known this gentleman since childhood. I have never seen ever him operate through ego. He is one of those rare, almost 'ego-free' persons that you get to see once in a while. I have never seen him complain about anything, or ever hold a grudge. Yet he has always been very sincere about whatever he is doing. I have dwelt on this area in my book, "ARE YOU REALLY HAPPY?", mentioning that you do get to see such naturally peaceful persons. They are, probably, in a naturally surrendered state. But are they, therefore, automatically fundamentally happy? Hence, in my response I left it to this gentleman to come to his judgement whether he is fundamentally happy. One test is whether your happiness is un-caused, just like the basic human unease is also un-caused. Even such naturally peaceful persons, who do not crave or strive for things in life, would find their existence turn richer and deeper if they seek some spirit in their lives by looking inwards. They might discover some pain within themselves, in the process, which was overlooked earlier, and then go through it to a deeper existence.

I am not surprised at people often claiming that they are fundamentally happy. The basic human unease and tentativeness is so deeply embedded and carefully kept under wraps that we mostly do not notice it. We do get hints, though, and I have given many examples of how we often come uncomfortably close to it. For instance, when we feel the pain of boredom, or any situation where we are forced to be with ourselves, like loneliness. We quickly divert our attention, get busy and return to the comfort of our 'normal' experience.

Having suffered the pain of depression and anxiety for so many years until I came out of it, I can state that when I look back, I find those years well spent. They gave me a lot of insight, learning, depth, perception and, thankfully, dealt a hefty blow to the monster within, the ego! May be it is easier to say so as I have traversed a fair bit on my journey, but my suggestion to all readers is to not shun unhappiness of any kind. Our minds are trained to go away from any pain. That's natural. But it only increases the pain. Remember, resistance increases pain; surrender dissolves it. I have mentioned this in my book: the maximum resistance is likely in persons who are successful seniors/veterans, and the least resistance is seen in the youth. How do you react to this premise? I could easily fall into the category, "successful senior". At my stage in life, often opinions and the mental frame of mind get solidified. We could be less open to new thoughts or ideas and are likely to be poor listeners. The younger ones, are more open to new ideas. Most importantly, once they understand something or appreciate the value, they are very quick to adopt it. "ARE YOU REALLY HAPPY?" has a section devoted to the Spiritual Youth. Read on.

Cheers!

Deepak Chatterjee

My sincere apologies to readers in the US and other geographies outside India. The physical copies of AYRH? take time to reach the Amazon.com portal through distributors. I will let you know through this blog, the moment that happens.


chatterjee.deepak33@gmail.com
www.facebook.com/deepak.chatterjee.944
@Deepak33C

Views are personal








2 comments:

  1. Deepak, I have ordered for your book and will be receiving it in a day or two. I have my own take what happiness is. but I think that though we may have traversed different paths our quest is the same. My journey started years ago at the age of thirteen when I lit the funeral pyre of my father and have travelled a long way since. Like you I also feel I have found my happiness atlast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Subbu. I await your views on my book. Was touched by what you felt at age 13. Keen to know more about your paradigm.

      Delete