Tuesday 3 December 2013

FUNDAMENTAL HAPPINESS Series 17 - Where, within yourself, do you exactly feel the pain, the discomfort, the fundamental UNhappiness?

Where, within yourself, do you exactly feel the pain, the discomfort, the fundamental UNhappiness? Where, within your body? If you can clearly identify it, you can transcend it to reach the state of real HAPPINESS.

Hi Friends,

As you struggle to find the correct posture of surrender and submission by focusing your attention on that basic human unease, it will help to devote this post on where exactly you notice it.

Before I go further, I am happy to share with you all a review of ARE YOU REALLY HAPPY? that has appeared in another blog titled, "SUBLIMATION" by G S Subramanian. Here is the link:

  http://subbusg.blogspot.in/2013/11/are-you-really-happy-by-deepak.html


Coming back to the question at the head of this post, I can share my experience of where within me I have felt the pain of despair, depression and meaninglessness. If you have the courage (not the kind of courage you need for mountaineering or bungee jumping!) and some truthfulness (authenticity), you can see this uneasiness dissolve and make way for bouts of joy. You add spirit to your lives; everything changes. You get a deeper, richer insight of things, problems appear less acute, peace descends, you actually become a more powerful person - not based on power that you derive from a position of authority, but just innate power that arises from within. If you are in a leadership position, people will look up to you, holding you in high esteem. You will be able to paint a compelling vision for your team members. More than anything else, you contribute towards creating a joyful workplace. So the benefits are huge. Do you want more?

My long years in depression and despair have helped me locate where inside you it is felt the most. Incidentally, I suffered for many years because I was fighting my pain; I did not know that submitting to it, observing it, was the way out. If you strike the correct posture, it can be a matter of weeks or months. Even those who do not feel the human despair deep within them, never mind; focus on whatever unhappiness you notice within yourself. Remember, the bad day example that I took in Series 16?

I felt most of my depression as a psychic ache in the chest region. It was like carrying a heavy chest around with you. The discomfort was mostly in the chest region. Since I honestly did not attribute any external reason for my depression (thank God!) I felt it almost like a physical pain. This is why truthfulness is important. For, had I unfairly blamed someone or something for this suffering, the problem would most likely have shifted from the chest region to the mind! The mind just loves to cling to problems. And, I would have lost this wonderful opportunity of facing my pain and moving towards lasting HAPPINESS.

At times, when my despair and depression were acute, I would also feel them like a lump inside my throat. It was a tragic irony. I would look fine externally, but I could feel as if my soul was weeping! So you can imagine how relieved I feel today as I sense that durable HAPPINESS within.

Similarly, much of the anxiety was felt throughout the body like a restlessness, often even a very mild uneasiness in the heart. While going to sleep, I would often feel this restlessness in the legs. I had to keep shifting my legs. Even at work, I would have this urge to keep swinging my legs. Many people do it.

Interestingly there is a medical phenomenon called Restless Legs Syndrome, also known as Willis-Ekbom disease or Wittmaack-Ekbom syndrome, which is supposed to be a neurological disorder!

Just as psychiatrists do not recognize the problem of depression or anxiety being at the level of spirit or a sign of early growth, I have serious doubts whether this urge to move our limbs is a neurological problem or a sign of deep restlessness - a sign of the basic human unease? However, involuntary muscular movement or twitching is certainly a medical condition and needs professional treatment.

I have given my experiences of how I felt my pain. Others may have had their own unique experiences that they can share.

Now that you have some clear indications of the physical manifestations of the deep unhappiness, it will be easier for you to connect with the practices that I have mentioned in my earlier posts, about taking your attention to different parts of your body, observing your heart beat and following your breathing. If you can hold your attention, without any mental analysis, just being a passive observer, the discomfort can dissolve. You would have taken a giant step towards spiritual growth!

Cheers!

Deepak Chatterjee

chatterjee.deepak33@gmail.com
www.facebook/deepak.chatterjee.944
@Deepak33C

Views are personal

No comments:

Post a Comment